Week 37 is done and dusted! I finished up for maternity leave in a cloud of cake and very generous gifts last week and the midwives go on call for my homebirth from tomorrow…the end is in sight! But actually, I hope I’ve still got a little while to go yet, as I don’t feel ready for birth or for meeting our new little man just yet.
I’m sure this boy will be like his brothers and show up late, but a lot of people are convinced I’m going to go before my due date, so I’ve always said that as long as I get at least a week of maternity leave to put my feet up first, he can come whenever he wants. But that’s me been on leave for nearly a week now, and I’ve not done any relaxing at all! I went shopping with my mum all day for my birthday, spent a whole day waddling around the Ideal Homes exhibition on Saturday, we were out celebrating the christening of my friends’ beautiful little girl all day Sunday and yesterday I took the boys to a local farm where I went on a tractor ride (honestly thought my waters would burst) and walked through the woods looking for fairy doors. In amongst that I’ve been doing housework and trying to nest, and today I need to get things ready for my oldest son’s birthday tomorrow. I don’t see me chilling out until Friday, so this boy better stay put for the foreseeable!
Plus…I’m not sure I’m ready to let go of being pregnant. This is our last baby (though my friend and I did get Hubs to agree to baby number 4 at the christening party…though I think that may have had more to do with the cheap bar than any serious commitment), and this pregnancy has been such a wonderful experience. So as much as I want to meet our little wriggler, I’m not ready for this pregnancy to be over.
So how have things progressed since I last updated at 35 weeks?
Body at 37 weeks
- I don’t feel I look very different to how I did a few weeks ago. And people tell me mixed things too (“oh, you’ve dropped” or “you’re still carrying quite high” or “you’re still so neat” to “you can really see a difference this week”) so clearly I’m not the only one unsure. But I feel different, especially if I’ve been on my feet for too long.
- Weight wise, I’ve put on another 1.5lbs since 35 weeks. That makes it a stone since I started being mindful about my weight at 18 weeks and probably 1.5 stone (21lbs) overall. Hopefully at least 10lb of that is baby, fluid and placenta!
- I’m still getting off fairly easy on the symptom side of things too – no real heartburn, no leg cramps, only very slight restless legs last thing at night sometimes. Even the trapped wind which was really bothering me a few weeks ago has eased off.
- I do hit a wall in the afternoon most days were I could definitely do with a nap…but that might have more to do with how busy I’ve been more than anything.
Mind at 37 weeks
- It’s not a quiet, chilled out mind, that’s for sure! Like I’ve mentioned, I don’t feel ready for this baby yet, and I think that’s a big part of it. The house is a mess and I can’t seem to find the time or energy to fix that. So instead I lie in bed worried that I’ll go into labour in a pig sty. I know if I pull my finger out and get it done today I’ll be much happier tomorrow, but time just seems to run away.
- My main feeling is one of sadness. I’m sad that this pregnancy is nearly over and I’m little sad to think that for the four year old things are going to change quite a lot. He will no longer be the baby, and I blogged about how that upsets me.
- On a more positive note, I’m excited for the birth and confident in my ability to cope with it. We’re all set for our home waterbirth, and a lot of that confidence comes from the Hypnobirthing course I’m doing, which I’m hoping to blog about this week.
Baby at 37 weeks
- We have a name! And it was chosen by our four year old. What’s impressive is that it is neither dinosaur nor construction site related!
- His moses basket is all ready for him, the cloth nappies are washed and waiting, and he has more clothes than he will ever have time to wear.
- We’re still on track for a big chunky boy…but that was never in doubt.
Fuel, Fitness & Rest
- I’m quite sad that at the final hurdle I’m really failing on the fitness and nutrition fronts. I’ve made bad food choices for a few weeks now, and can’t seem to get myself back on track. I’m feeling guilty about the amount of sugar I’ve been consuming and I’m worried that I’m letting myself down by not fuelling my body better. I need to think of my upcoming labour and birth as a marathon – no runner would prepare for that by eating cake after cake in the last weeks before the race!
- My motivation to workout seems to have disappeared. I think that’s a symptom of feeling like I have so much to do, so I talk myself out of a workout and instead promise I’ll do some housework…and then neither gets done! I’m cutting myself some slack in this respect, as I’ve been out and about so I’m not exactly inactive, but I had hoped to exercise right up to the birth so it’s annoying me on a personal level.
- Sleep is still pretty great, mainly thanks to my pregnancy pillow. So I can’t blame not sleeping on my lack of motivation.
Overall, things are still going great. I think I’m just psyching myself out. I’m hoping that the next couple of days will be all I need to get me back on track and get my house sorted out, and that I still get that week of chill-out time before baby boy decides to join us!