So Tuesday was my due date, and as I’ve said all along it came and went without much sign of impending labour. I’ll be honest, this is a scheduled post which I actually wrote on Wednesday so there is a chance I could have gone into labour by now…but I’m guessing probably not. This little man really isn’t allowed to make an appearance until today anyway, as our four year old had his sports day on Friday and his nursery graduation yesterday so I wanted to hold on until after those!
The past few weeks have seen me doing some half-hearted nesting (though there was one day where I actually crawled under our bed to do a thorough hoover, dragging out all the storage boxes that live in there and sorting through their contents), and swinging from alternatively being ready for baby boys arrival to feeling as if I could still use a few days before he gets here!
So how have things progressed since I last updated at 37 weeks?
Body at 40 weeks
- I am uncomfortable a lot of the time now! I actually think I’ve been struck by some late-onset SPD, which is just fucking wonderful. At least it didn’t rear its ugly head until now, unlike my last pregnancy where it plagued me from about 30 weeks. Getting up from sitting, or rolling over in bed are when it’s worst, but it’s even making me avoid sitting on my birth ball as the discomfort afterwards makes my eyes water.
- Weight wise, I’ve remained fairly stable and am still sitting about a stone heavier than I was when I being mindful about my weight at 18 weeks and probably 1.5 stone (21lbs) overall. I’m still hopeful that at least 10lb of that is baby, fluid and placenta!
- The trapped wind is back most days too, though not as painful as it was before. Now I just have to put up with some crazy noises, which sound like little jets of gas going off in an empty tunnel…if I wasn’t reminded by a very wriggly baby that the opposite is true, I’d think my bump was hollow.
Mind at 40 weeks
- I’ve still not really found that calm headspace I was hoping would come with maternity leave. I’m constantly worried about the house not being clean enough to give birth in…and I know a lot of that is nesting, but it is driving me a little bit bonkers.
- I do feel more ready to meet our boy now. I know previously I wasn’t in a place where I was ready to let this last pregnancy go, but now my feelings of excitement and curiosity about meeting this wee bundle are taking over and I can’t wait to see what he looks like. I still can’t quite imagine him being here, but I can’t wait until he is.
- I am feeling a little isolated though. I don’t have the energy to make plans to see anyone, and I think (hope) my friends are giving me space in my final days, so as a result I do feel a bit of a recluse.
- On the flip side, my mum wont leave me alone and this is really stressing me out. I’m tempted to not answer her calls, but I know she’d be up at the door if I left it too long. And I know she’s just worried and wants to support me, but I’ve said all along that I don’t want her around when I’m in labour. She is very full-on and smothers me, to the point where I think that’s why I made some choices in my last labour which I hadn’t planned to make. I’ve asked her outright to give me some space, but she is choosing to ignore that…so maybe it isn’t just nesting that is stopping me from fully relaxing.
Baby at 40 weeks
- After a few weeks of panicking that he was stubbornly lying back to back, he finally turned at 39 weeks and seems happy…maybe too happy, if the passing of his due date without event is anything to go by!
- He is still ninja kicking like crazy. I’m surprised he has any room in there for the antics he gets up to, but considering a woman I didn’t even know commented on how much she could see my belly moving from across a room the other day it would appear he can make room.
- We had a clear out of the four year old’s room at the weekend, and got rid of some of the baby toys we had originally kept. We’re aware that this wee one is going to be the hand-me-down kid, so figured we should create some space for him to at least get the odd new thing once in a while!
Fuel, Fitness & Rest
- I have zero energy, even though I’m still sleeping most of the night. A wander round the supermarket makes me need a lie down before I can function again, so it goes without saying that exercise has been non-existent. I’m ok with that though, I did well to keep working out until week 38 and it would be stupid to push myself right now.
- I’m fighting diet demons though. I’m hungry all the time, but although my meals are generally still very nutritious I’m eating a lot of crap in between. I don’t expect to be “dieting” right now and I think it’s fine to cut myself some slack, but I feel a bit out of control. I’m angry with myself at making such horrendous processed and sugary snack choices…I thought I knew better than that.
- I’ve struggled to make time to work on relaxation, and I know that I could really benefit from it. I’m planning on using hypnobirthing techniques in labour so I really should have been prioritising that.
So the end is in sight, and hopefully my next update will be to announce this little man’s arrival. I can’t believe how quickly or how well this pregnancy has gone, I couldn’t have asked for a better one to end my childbearing days with. I’m gutted I wont be doing this again! All that remains is to trust that I will get the birth I have planned for, and to wait it out until I can hold my new baby in my arms.